- 360g (13oz) of Carnaroli rice
- 250g (9oz) of mild Italian sausage
- 1 small onion or 1 shallot
- 2 cups fresh chopped Spinach
- ½ cup (80 ml) of dry white wine
- 1 liter of vegetable stock
- 30g (1oz) of butter
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of grated parmigiano reggiano or grana
- fine salt
1. First of all remove the sausage casings then cut it in small pieces. In a large pan, brown the sausage in 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.
2. Stir and cook all sides and when ready (about 3/4min) remove the sausage with a slotted spoon and put it aside in a plate. Now finely chop the onion and let it simmer in the oil and the sausage fats for 1 minute.
3. Add it to the onion soffritto and let it cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Now add Carnaroli rice and let it toast for 2 minutes. Keep stirring.
5. Add the white wine and let cook on high heat till absorbed. Then add the 3 or 4 ladles of vegetable stock, until cover the rice. Cook for 15-18 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally and, if necessary, add a ladle or two of stock.
6. Let absorb all the stock and add salt if necessary. Don’t overcook the rice and the best way to not do it is to taste it frequently, so to be sure to add one more ladle of stock or not. When risotto is cooked al dente, turn off the heat then add grated parmigiano, spinach, the cookes sausages and butter.
7. Stir and mix. Serve with more cheese if desired.