South African yellow rice is a delicious fragrant rice. Traditionally served with bobotie, this rice recipe can also be served as a side dish to any other curry. This yellow rice gets it colour from turmeric and its sweetness from the raisins. Adding a cinnamon stick completes the full aroma of this dish.
- 1 cup (8 oz or 200 g) uncooked basmati rice rinsed and drained
- 1½ cup (12 oz or 360 ml) water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- ⅔ cups (3.5 oz or 100 g) raisins
- 1 teaspoon salt
(Optional: Roasted chopped almonds)
- Put the rice into a colander and rinse well under cold running water.
- In a medium saucepan, add the rice, raisins, turmeric, salt and water and bring to the boil.
- When the water is boiling, reduce the heat to a minimum and cover with a tightfitting lid. Let it simmer for 12 minutes. Do not remove the lid while cooking!
- After 12 minutes, take the pan off the heat and let it rest for 10 minutes, still covered with the lid. Combine roasted almonds if using it.
- After resting time, fluff the rice with a fork.