Kik alicha is a traditional Ethiopian vegetarian dish made with yellow split peas, turmeric and niter kibbeh.
- ½ lb yellow split peas
- 1 white onion , finely grated
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons niter kibbeh (Ethiopian spicy clarified butter)
- 2 jalapeño peppers (to taste), halved lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon fine salt
- Soak the yellow split peas in plenty of cold water for 1 hour.
- Drain them.
- Boil three times the volume of split peas in water.
- As soon as the water comes to a boil, add the drained split peas.
- Add the onion and cook, covered, for 45 minutes, or until the split peas are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt, mix, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the garlic, ginger and turmeric and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the niter kibbeh and the peppers. Mix well so that the aromas diffuse in the split peas.
- Serve piping hot with injera.