Delicious traditional soup with ground beef and vegetables. A typical recipe of the cuisine of the Guarani people in Paraguay, this soup is usually consumed with Paraguayan tortillas or chipa guazu.
- 3 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 1 green bell pepper , seeded and diced
- 2 tomatoes , peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons rice
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil (or lard)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ bunch parsley
- 8 cups cold water
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Mortar and pestle
- Mix the meat and rice in a mortar and crush with a pestle until a paste is formed.
- Then knead this mixture with your hands for 5 minutes.
- In a large salad bowl, mix the meat with the 8 cups (2l) of cold water and stir until the mixture is perfectly homogeneous.
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven and brown the onion over medium heat.
- Add the pepper and tomato and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring very regularly.
- Add the flour to this sauce and mix well for two minutes.
- Add the mixed meat and rice that was dissolved in cold water.
- Cook for 15 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Finally add salt, oregano and parsley.