split in half
red coarsely chopped
finely chopped , or mint, optional
Kalamata , coarsely chopped, optional
, or sea salt, to taste
1. Bring 3 cups of water to a boil and add a half teaspoon of salt.
Add barley, cover, and allow to simmer over medium low heat for about 40 minutes, or until barley is cooked.
2. Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar and gently toss with the barley to coat well.
3. Allow the barley to cool, then add the red onion, tomato, pepper, feta cheese, kalamata olives, and fresh parsley or mint, and oregano.
4. Season well with oregano and sea salt or kosher salt, and adjust seasonings to taste.
5. Serve your barley salad either chilled or at room temperature.
- 6 small potatoes, boiled, peeled, and riced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 1 1/4 cups fresh cottage cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- smoked bacon or guanciale, diced, for garnish
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup boiling water
- Place riced potatoes into a large bowl
- Sautee onions in butter until light brown
- Lightly toss potatoes, with onion, cheese, and seasonings until combined
- Place the flour on a clean work surface
- Add the salt
- Make a well in the top of the flour and add the egg.
- Work the egg into the flour
- Slowly add the water to the flour mixture, mixing it in as you go
- Knead dough until smooth
- Brown bacon and reserve
- Roll the dough out very thin, approx 1/16 inch
- Cut into round circles using a glass or a cookie cutter
- Add a spoonful of the filling to the center of each circle, compacting the filling
- Fold the dough around the filling, sealing the edges, creating a half circle or crescent shape
- When all of the pierogi are filled, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, cook the pierogi for use a few minutes
- Serve with butter, bacon and the fat of the bacon.