Moqueca de peixe is a traditional fish and seafood stew from Brazil with delicate notes of coconut cream and lime.
- 6 steaks tuna, cod, shark, or whiting
- 4 limes
- 2 red hot peppers (or green) , finely sliced
- 5 cloves garlic , crushed
- 5 scallions , chopped
- 3 onions , cut into ½-inch sections
- 3 red bell peppers , sliced
- 2 green bell peppers , sliced
- 5 tomatoes , sliced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons palm oil
- 1 bunch cilantro , chopped
- ½ bunch chives , chopped
- 1¼ cup water
- 1¼ cup coconut milk or cream
- Wash and dry the fish steaks well with paper towel.
- Place in an airtight container. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with lime juice and add the garlic cloves.
- Mix, cover and marinate in a cool place for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- In a Dutch oven, sauté the chopped scallions in hot olive oil for 1 to 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the fish and all the marinade, turn gently after about 30 seconds then add the onion and the hot peppers.
- Cook on low heat for 10 minutes then add the palm oil, coconut milk and water.
- Add half of the cilantro and chives. Salt and pepper.
- Gently take the fish out. Transfer the content of the pan to a cast iron, ceramic or clay pot. Add the sliced tomatoes and bell peppers, then place the fish gently on top.
- Bake covered in a preheated oven at 350 F / 180 C for 30 minutes.
- 5 minutes before the end of cooking, sprinkle with remaining cilantro and chive.
- Serve with white rice.