This Fish is flavorful, healthy, and couldn’t be easier to make. Slowly steamed with aromatic herbs and spices, then drizzled in a rich red paprika sauce, it’s an impressive dish that requires very little effort. Whether you’re cooking an easy weeknight dinner or a special holiday meal, you can’t go wrong with this recipe.
- 4 fillets white fish, 8 ounces each (best if you use a firm, dense fish like halibut, sea bass or snapper)
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, cut into large pieces (you can substitute fresh parsley or basil if you prefer)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into long thin strips
- 5 large garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 3 large dried red chili peppers
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp paprika (heaping)
- Salt and pepper to taste
(Optional ingredients: Lemon, Olives, capers, shrimp etc)
1. Place cilantro, bell pepper slices, garlic and chili peppers in the bottom of the pan to create a “bed” for the fish.Place fish fillets on top of the other ingredients. Season fillets generously with salt and pepper, then sprinkle turmeric evenly across fillets.
2. Add 1 ½ cups of water to the pan. Cover pan, turn flame on high, and bring to a boil. As soon as the water boils, reduce heat to medium and uncover the pan. Mixture should be simmering lightly at this point. Allow mixture to simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes, basting fillets periodically, until the water reduces by half and turns yellow.
- Place cilantro, bell pepper slices, garlic and chili peppers in the bottom of the pan to create a “bed” for the fish.
- Place fish fillets on top of the other ingredients. Season fillets generously with salt and pepper, then sprinkle turmeric evenly across fillets.
3. In a small bowl, mix together olive oil and paprika with a fork. Pour red oil mixture over the fish fillets, coating them evenly. Let the fish simmer uncovered for 20 minutes more, basting frequently. Fish is done when liquid is reduced to about a quarter of what it was originally, and the fish has turned a rich red color.
4. Serve fish and bell peppers together with the grain and/or vegetable of your choice. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves.