Traditional Cuban dish made with simmered meat that is then fried until crispy and golden.
- 2 lb beef flank (or veal flank)
- 1¼ cup beef broth
- 3 onions , julienned
- 2 small green bell peppers , julienned
- 1 lime , juiced
- 6 cloves garlic , crushed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon parsley , finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Black pepper , freshly ground
- 1 lime , quartered
- Place the meat in a large saucepan over medium to high heat, and cover with the broth.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat.
- Add the oregano, cumin, bay leaf, a pinch of salt and a pressed garlic clove, and cook for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- When the meat is cooked, turn off the heat, remove it from the saucepan, drain it and let it cool to room temperature.
- Once it has cooled a little, with a fork or by hand, shred the meat, getting rid of any skin and / or ligaments.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat, add the remaining garlic, peppers and onions. Sauté for 2 minutes and add all the meat.
- Sauté everything until the meat becomes golden and crisp, then add the lime juice and pepper.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning with more salt if necessary. Mix and cook for a minute.
- Finally add the parsley.
- Remove from the heat and serve hot, preferably with white rice, black beans, ripe fried plantain and lime.