Literally translated as “head of shop,” the Arabic phrase ras el hanout really means “top shelf.” This version is a vibrant, earthy mix of eight spices (plus salt) including cinnamon, cumin, coriander, allspice, black pepper, and ginger. It’s essential to the savory pie known as b'stilla, but makes an excellent addition to lamb burgers and roasted chicken as well.
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
In a small bowl whisk together all ingredients until combined well. Spice blend keeps in an airtight container at cool room temperature 1 month.