- 3 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 1/4 cups water divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1 whole cinnamon stick
- 1 whole star anise
- 12 whole green cardamom pods
- 1/2 tsp saffron use a good quality, expensive saffron; Iranian or Spanish is best. The cheap stuff has no flavor!
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 3/4 tsp salt
For the Orange Blossom Sauce
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp orange blossom water
- Shelled pistachios, garnish
- Black or golden raisins, garnish
- Saffron threads, optional garnish (same note as above)
1. To make the pudding: In a small dish, combine the cinnamon stick, star anise, cardamom pods, saffron and turmeric and cover with 1/4 cup hot water to bloom the spices.
2. In a medium saucepan combine coconut milk, water, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and slowly whisk in the rice flour until smooth.
3. Add the dish of spices and stir until thoroughly combined. Cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Remove from heat and transfer to a mesh strainer set over a large mixing bowl. Push through with a spoon or spatula to remove any whole spices.
5. To make orange blossom syrup: Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and allow to cool. The syrup will thicken upon standing.
- Divide pudding evenly between 4-6 dishes and refrigerate to cool before serving.
6. To assemble, top the pudding with a few pistachios and raisins, then drizzle with the orange blossom syrup. If you're feeling extra fancy you can also garnish with a few saffron threads.