2 slices white bread
1 cup milk
2 tbsp butter
1 cup onion finely chopped
1 garlic clove chopped
1 granny smith apple cored diced
1 kg lamb or beef mince
1/4 cup slivered almonds
3 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp chutney
2 tbsp curry powder
1 tbsp light brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
6 bay leaves
1. Pre-heat oven to 320F (160C).
2. Tear bread into large pieces and soak in milk in a small bowl.
3. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large sauté pan. Add onions and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
4. Add apple and cook for 1 minute more. Add meat and cook until it loses most of its pink color, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
5. Squeeze out the excess milk from the bread slices, reserving the milk.
Tear up bread and add to lamb.
6. Add almonds, lemon juice, chutney, curry powder, sugar, salt, pepper and 1 egg. Mix well.
Place mixture in a buttered deep baking dish or casserole dish.
7. Stick bay leaves vertically into the casserole. Bake for 40 minutes, then remove from oven.
Whisk together the reserved milk with the remaining 3 eggs, then pour it over the mixture.
8. Bake for a further 15 minutes or until egg is set.
Remove bay leaves before serving with lemon garnish.