Sopa azteca is a delicious traditional Mexican soup recipe prepared with fried tortillas and served with avocado, cheese and cream.
- 1 chicken breast (with bone)
- 2 cloves garlic , chopped
- ½ onion , chopped
- 6 tomatoes , peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 pasilla chili peppers , cut into strips
- 1 teaspoon chicken stock powder
- 3 leaves épazote (Mexican tea), thoroughly washed and dried.
- 1 stalk celery , finely chopped
- ½ bunch cilantro , finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 4 corn tortillas
- 8 oz. panela cheese , diced (traditional mexican cheese)
- 1 small avocado , diced
- 4 pasilla chili peppers , fried
- 2 tablespoons creme fraiche (or sour cream)
- 2 limes
- Dutch oven
- Cook the whole chicken breast with the bone in 6 cups (1,5 l) of water for 30 minutes after boiling point is reached.
- Halfway through cooking, season with chicken stock powder, épazote, celery, half of the cilantro, bay leaf and oregano.
- Remove the cooked chicken, shred and set aside. Reserve the broth.
- Cut the tortillas into thin strips.
- In a skillet, heat the sunflower oil and fry the tortilla strips very quickly in very hot oil. Mix well, being careful not to burn them.
- Remove them from the oil and place them on paper towels to remove excess fat.
- In the same oil, fry the 4 pasilla peppers over medium heat and set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, heat olive oil and sauté the garlic and onion until translucent.
- Add the tomatoes and 2 pasilla peppers cut into strips. Mix well.
- Cook covered on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Liquefy with a little broth and mix for 3 minutes (the mixture must be fluid).
- Push the mixture through a chinois strainer (fine sieve strainer) and pour it directly into the reserved chicken broth.
- Cook over low heat until thickened.
- At the bottom of a bowl (or a hollow dish), add the equivalent of a julienned tortilla and pour the broth over. Add a little chicken breast, cubes of cheese, avocado and 1 fried pasilla pepper.
- Serve the soup and garnish with cream and the remaining cilantro.
- Season with freshly squeezed lime.