Nothing screams fall like pumpkin. And this flan, or flan de calabaza as we call it, is the perfect fall dessert that everyone will love.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 12 oz can evaporated milk
- 1 12 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat the sugar in a saucepan over medium heat until it caramelizes. Mix it a few times to help it melt evenly. Once it's brown, immediately remove from heat and pour into a 9-inch round pan. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs lightly in a bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Stir well.
- Pour the flan mixture into the pan with the caramel sauce.
- Make the water bath by placing the flan dish into a large roasting pan and pouring water into the roasting pan (not the flan) until it reaches halfway up the side of the flan dish.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until it is set. You can insert a toothpick to check if it comes out clean.
- Let flan cool and refrigerate overnight.
- Unmold by running a knife along the edge of the pan and carefully invert onto a large platter.
Remember to keep an eye on the caramel and don't over mix the flan.