• 150 g tapioca pearls
• 700 – 900 ml water
• 300 ml red wine
• 150 g sugar, approximately
• 3 dried cloves
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 15 pitted dried prunes, optional
1. In a thick bottomed saucepan bring the water to the boil with the “sagu”, the cinnamon and cloves. Reduce the heat and cook over low heat for 20 – 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until almost all pearls become clear, almost transparent. Add more water, if necessary.
2. Add the wine, the sugar and cook until all the pearls are clear, almost trasparent. If you like, add prunes cut into small pieces. It takes about 15 minutes. Once cooled, it hardens a bit.
3. Discard the cinnamon and cloves.
4. Pour into a serving bowl or on individual dessert bowls and serve cold. You can serve “sagu” with pastry cream, English cream or eggnog.
5. Store in fridge.
Yield: 6 – 8 servings.