Kimchi fried rice or kimchi-bokkeum-bap (김치 볶음밥) is a variety of bokkeum-bap (fried rice) popular in Korea. Fried rice with kimchi is mainly composed of kimchi and rice, as well as other ingredients, such as diced vegetables or meat such as spam.
- 4 oz. spam bacon or diced ham
- 8 oz. kimchi
- 4 tablespoons kimchi juice
- ½ small onion diced
- 2 scallions chopped
- 1 small carrot finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon gochujang (hot pepper paste)
- 2 cups short-grain rice steamed
- ½ tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 fried eggs hot
- 1 sheet roasted gim (dried seaweed)
- Vegetable oil
- Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the pieces of spam, bacon or ham.
- Brown until the pieces are lightly golden.
- Add the onion and 1 scallion and brown quickly over high heat.
- Add the kimchi, carrot, kimchi juice, soy sauce and gochujang. Stir and sauté for 4 minutes.
- Add a tablespoon of vegetable oil and mix.
- Add the rice and reduce over medium-low heat. Stir until everything is well mixed and cook for 4 minutes. Once the rice is evenly coated with seasoning, increase the heat and continue to fry the rice, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the sesame oil and half the sesame seeds.
- Serve and garnish with a fried egg, the rest of the sesame seeds, strips of dried seaweed and the rest of the scallion.
It is best to use a well-fermented kimchi for the rich, robust flavor it develops.