1 large onion per person.
250ml of beef or game stock per person.Fresh thyme stick.
2 or 3 bay leafs
1 glass of Bordeaux wine per person
15 grams of butter per person.
French hard cheese gruyere or emmental (can even use swiss hard cheese)
1. Cut the onions in very thin rings.
2. Melt the butter in a large pan to cook the onions till slightly golden and wet.
3. Add two tablespoons of flour in the onions and stir for a few seconds to mix it in well
4. Add the hot stock and the wine to the mix slowly stirring continually.
5. Add the thyme and bay leafs hint of nutmeg
6. Stir till boiling on high heat
7. Then simmer for 30 minutes with a covered dish stirring occasionally and tasting to salt and pepper to taste.
8. In the meantime cut the bread and grill
9. Rub the garlic on one side on the bread
10. Then cover the bread with the grated cheese on a grill dish ready to melt the cheese.
11. Once the soup is cooked, take off the heat,
12. Now melt the cheese on the bread ready to be served.
14. Serve the soup and put 3 slices of the cheesy bread on top.