1L (4 cups) chicken or vegetable stock
2 tbs olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
2 tbsp butter
1 white onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves
2 cups carnaroli or arborio rice
1 cup white wine
1 cup lemon juice
Zest of 2 lemons, finely chopped, plus lemon zest to serve
½ cup loosely packed mint leaves, finely chopped
1 cup grated parmesan, plus extra to serve
For the roasted tomatoes:
1 lbs cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1 cup chopped almonds
2 garlic cloves
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper
For the tomatoes:
1. On a big baking dish mix the tomatoes, almonds, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper.
2. Bake for 30 minutes on a 450f (230c).
Making the risotto:
1. Melt a good knob of butter in a large saucepan. Sauté the onions and garlic very gently in the butter for a minute or two.
2. Turn the flame up to medium. Add the rice and let it "toast" for a couple of minutes, then add a glass of wine. Let it to evaporate.
3. Now add a ladleful of broth to the rice. Simmer over medium heat, stirring from time to time, until the broth has been absorbed by the rice. Add another ladleful of broth and repeat for a total of 18 minutes or so. The rice is done when it's still al dente but without any chalkiness in the center.
4. When the rice is almost done, add the lemon juice and let it evaporate—only partially, like me, you like your risotto quite loose.
5. Off heat, add the Parmigiano-Reggiano and, if you like, another knob of butter to the rice. Stir vigorously for 30 seconds or so, until the cheese and butter have melted and the rice has developed a nice, creamy texture.
6. Combine the roasted tomatoes and mint and mix very gently.
7. Serve immediately.