Poppy seed batter:
- 1 cup poppy seeds (130 g)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200 g)
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil (80 ml)
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour (215 g)
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder (13 g)
- 1 1/3 cups milk (320 ml)
- butter and sifted breadcrumbs to grease and dust a sheet pan
- 1 1/2 cup icing sugar (180 g) sifted
- 4 Tablespoons lemon juice (60 ml) freshly pressed
- Before you start baking, grease and flour a sheet pan. Pre-heat oven to 340 °F (170 °C).
- In a large mixing bowl, crack an egg, add vegetable oil and granulated sugar. Mix with a hand-held kitchen mixer for 3 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk flour, poppy seeds, and baking powder. Add them to the beaten egg. Add milk and mix everything using a mixer on low speed until a semi-liquid batter is created.
- Pour and spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes. To test for doneness, insert a toothpick into the cake center. The tooth stick needs to come out clean, or with a few crumbs stuck to the tooth stick, then the cake is finished.
- Set the baked cake aside. Meantime, make a smooth lemon icing. To achieve this, mix sifted icing sugar with freshly pressed lemon juice. Drizzle the lemon icing over warm cake and spread it using a tablespoon.
- Allow the cake to cool completely in the pan. Slice and serve as a dessert or a coffee cake.