Sichuan chicken is an iconic dish of the Sichuan province cuisine. It consists of pieces of fried chicken that are sautéed in a slightly sweet, spicy sauce flavored with Sichuan pepper, green onions, garlic and dried red chilies. Usually is served with green onion strips and fresh coriander.
For the chicken
- 12 oz. chicken fillet , cut into large 1 inch (2,5 cm) dice
- 2 egg whites
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed Sichuan pepper
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- Vegetable oil , for frying
For the sauce
- 4 dried red peppers , cut into strips
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground Szechuan pepper
- 2 cloves garlic , chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 4 scallions , greens and whites separated
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon shaoxing wine
- 2 tablespoons red pepper paste
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt , adjust to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro , chopped
- In a bowl, add the chicken, salt, pepper, soy sauce and cornstarch.
- Add the egg white and mix everything well until the chicken is coated.
- Heat an oil bath in a pan over medium heat.
- When the oil is moderately hot, delicately immerse the chicken pieces one after the other.
- Fry them over medium to high heat until golden brown and crispy.
- Drain, keeping 2 tablespoons of frying oil in the pan and reserve the chicken.
Chicken in sauce
- In the hot oil, add the dried red peppers and sauté for 1 minute over low to medium heat.
- Add the garlic, red pepper paste and ginger and brown them over high heat for 30 seconds.
- Then add the scallion whites and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the ground Sichuan peppercorns and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Then add the soy sauce, shaoxing wine, sugar, vinegar and very little salt.
- Mix well.
- Pour in 4 tablespoons of water and let the sauce bubble and thicken slightly.
- Taste the sauce and add more chili paste, Sichuan pepper, sugar, salt, or vinegar, to taste.
- Stir in the fried chicken and stir over high heat for 1 minute until the sichuan sauce coats the chicken well.
- Sprinkle with ground white pepper and the green of the scallions.
- Garnish the Szechuan chicken with fresh cilantro leaves.
- Serve hot with noodles or fried rice.