Mastering the basics of Japanese cooking are important, so let's start with the dietary staple of Japan. Perfectly prepared Japanese rice should be light, fluffy, and slightly sticky when cooked, and this recipe will have you making sublime rice every time.
300g japanese short grain rice
How To Prepare
- 1. Place the rice in a bowl. Add some water and gently wash the rice with your hands in a swirling motion. Discard the water and repeat this process several times until the water is clear.
- 2. Soak the rice in clean water for 30 minutes. Then drain the rice completely using a sieve.
- 3. Place the rice in a heavy-bottom saucepan and add 360ml of water. Bring the rice to the boil over medium heat. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and simmer for approximately 12 minutes. Keep the lid on until the rice is cooked.
- 4. Turn the heat off and let the rice stand for 10 minutes to steam with the lid on.
- 5. Using a wooden paddle, or spoon if not available, fluff the rice to help the excess moisture evaporate. Serve hot with your favourite Japanese dishes or by itself with rice seasoning if desired.