Kofta curry is a recipe for deliciously spiced traditional Pakistani meatballs, that are served in a creamy sauce and saffron rice.
For the koftas
- 1½ lb ground beef
- 3 small onions , chopped (about 2 cups/400g)
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 fresh hot pepper , finely chopped (optional)
For the sauce
- 3 onions , chopped
- 5 cloves garlic , chopped
- 1 (2-inch) piece ginger , chopped
- 2½ teaspoons turmeric
- 2½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 2½ teaspoons Cayenne pepper
- 3½ teaspoons garam masala
- 1 hot pepper , finely chopped (optional)
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1½ lb tomatoes , peeled, seeded and crushed
- 1¼ cup yogurt
- Vegetable oil
For the saffron rice
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 onions , chopped
- 7 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¼ teaspoon saffron (or ground saffron)
- 2½ teaspoons cumin seeds
- Mix all the kofta ingredients in a bowl.
- Form small meatballs the size of a walnut and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Sweat the onion in a pan with hot oil over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger, chili and spices and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the meatballs and sauté them so that they are golden on all sides.
- Add the tomato sauce and the crushed tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and cook over medium heat for about 30 minutes.
- Add the yogurt and continue cooking on low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Serve the meatballs, topped with the sauce. Sprinkle with chopped fresh cilantro. Serve saffron rice on the side (recipe below)
- Rinse the rice and drain well.
- Sweat the chopped onion over medium heat in a pan with hot oil. When translucent, add saffron and cumin seeds and mix for one minute.
- Add the rice and mix for 5 minutes until the rice soaks the oil and turns yellow.
- Add 3 cups (750 ml) of boiling water, and add salt.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low. Cover as tightly as possible and cook for about 20 minutes.