1 large onion per person.
250ml of beef or game stock per person.Fresh thyme stick.
2 or 3 bay leafs
1 glass of Bordeaux wine per person
15 grams of butter per person.
French hard cheese gruyere or emmental (can even use swiss hard cheese)
- Cut the onions in very thin rings.
- Melt the butter in a large pan to cook the onions till slightly golden and wet.
- Add two table spoons of flour in the onions and stir for a few seconds to mix it in well
- Add the hot stock and the wine to the mix slowly stirring continually.
- Add the thyme and bay leafs hint of nutmeg
- Stir till boiling on high heat
- Then simmer for 30 minutes with a covered dish stirring occasionally and tasting to salt and pepper to taste.
- In the meantime cut the bread and grill
- Rub the garlic on one side on the bread
- Then cover the bread with the grated cheese on a grill dish ready to melt the cheese.
- Once the soup is cooked, take off the heat,
- Now melt the cheese on the bread ready to be served.
- Serve the soup and put 3 slices of the cheesy bread on top.