- 8 oz 1/2 lb (250g) or about 6 strips bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can coconut milk
1 cup roasted cashews
1/3 cup lime juice
- 2 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1. In a large pot, over medium heat, cook bacon in it's own fat until crisp (8-10 min). Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate. Leave 3 Tbsp oil in the pot; discard excess or leave it in there for a more flavorful soup.
- 2. Add chopped onion and cook 4 min or until soft, stirring occasionally, then add 2 pressed garlic cloves and saute another minute.
- 3. Stir in diced sweet potatoes and 2 tsp salt. Now pour in 4 cups chicken broth, partially cover and simmer 20 min or until sweet potatoes are easily pierced with a fork. Combine cashews.
- 4. Puree soup until smooth. Return soup to pot and stir in the coconut milk and lime juice. Serve in warm bowls. Sprinkle the tops with bacon.