To Start the Bug
- 2 cups water
- 2 table spoon of sugar
- 2 table spoon of fresh ginger diced or grated
To Feed the Bug
- 5 teaspoons of sugar
- 5 teaspoon of ginger diced
To Use the Bug
- 8 cups fruit juice, ginger tea or sweetened herbal tea
Preparing the Bug
- In a jar, combine one cup of warm water and two table spoons of sugar.
- Drop the ginger into the jar, and then cover it with a cloth.
Feeding the Bug
- The next day, and each day for 5 days, stir 1 teaspoon sugar and 1 tbsp ginger into the jar. Between 3 and 5 days, you should start to see bubbles forming, and your bug should smell yeasty and gingery. When you see bubbles, your bug is ready to use.
Using the Bug
- To use the bug, strain 1/2 cup of the liquid and mix it with 7 1/2 cups liquid such as fruit juice or sweetened herbal tea, bottle and ferment up to 3 days.