10 slices of smoked bacon, thinly chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 celery stick, chopped
1 large onion, finely diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup Guinness
2 cups Risotto rice
8 cups beef stock
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup aged cheddar cheese, grated on a microplane
¼ cup finely diced parsley
Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Pour the stock in a large saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer over medium-low heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large high-sided skillet fry the bacon until crispy and golden brown. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon, then remove half of the bacon fat. Pour in 2 tablespoons of olive oil, then add the onion and celery, and season with a pinch of sea salt. Cook, stirring often, until the veggies have softened (about 5 – 7 minutes). Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the risotto rice and continue cooking, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the Guinness Draught and continue stirring as the rice quickly absorbs the liquid. Begin adding the stock, about 1 cup at a time, stirring sometimes if your pan is a stick one.
- Continue stirring in the stock until the risotto is tender and super creamy. It will take about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the butter, cheese, and parsley, the reserved crispy bacon, then hit the risotto with a generous pinch of cracked black pepper. Serve immediately. Delicious!