- 2 1/2 pounds beef brisket or chuck, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 pound meaty beef shanks
- 1 large chicken leg and thigh
- 3 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese rinds
- 1 large white onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 carrot, cut into 3 pieces
- 1 celery stalk, cut into 3 pieces
- Fine sea salt
- 4 quarts cold water
In a large stockpot, combine beef, beef shanks, chicken, cheese rinds, onion, carrot, celery and 1 tablespoon salt. Cover with water and bring to a boil over high heat, skimming foam and fat from surface. Reduce to a gentle simmer and cook, skimming occasionally, for 3 hours.
Pour broth through a large fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl, pressing hard on and then discarding solids. Skim off and discard fat, as desired. Season broth with salt to taste.
Note: Broth can be made ahead and cooled completely, uncovered, then chilled, covered, 1 week, or frozen in an airtight container up to 2 months.